The diets ketogenic increasingly popular, promote weight loss in a short time, but what else do we know about them? Can everyone follow them or are there contraindications? Several types of diets meet the characteristics of the so-called ketogens, the most prominent being the well-known Atkins diet. So that you are completely sure that this is the type of diet you need, in this article we want to show you the main advantages and disadvantages, as well as explain what it consists of. Read on and find out what the ketogenic diet is.
What is the ketogenic diet?
The main objective of ketogenic diets is to promote the formation of ketone bodies. These bodies are chemical compounds that appear as a result of the degradation of fatty acids. To achieve this result, you must reduce the intake of carbohydrates and increase that of proteins and fats, since the body, when detecting that it does not receive the necessary amount of sugar, resorts to the oxidation of fats to form ketone bodies and be able to supply the heart and brain the energy they require. This type of diet must be carried out under medical supervision and in specific cases.
By reducing the consumption of carbohydrates and increasing the consumption of fats and proteins, the body generates a situation similar to that of fasting. Also, the foods consumed in this type of diet are more difficult to digest, a fact that allows reducing the amount of food and losing weight more easily or, at least, not increasing it.
How to follow the ketogenic diet or what can I eat on a keto
The ketogenic diets are characterized by eliminating or reducing carbohydrate-rich foods and carbohydrates, yielding compounds menus products with a protein and fat high. Such products can be pork, chicken, lamb, eggs, fish such as salmon or tuna, seafood, cheese, vegetable oils such as olive, butter, and green leafy vegetables.
In this type of diet, the fruit is usually eliminated, however, it is always advisable to take a minimum amount since our body needs to receive the vitamins and energy they provide. Likewise, you have the possibility of supplementing the diet with food supplements that promote fat burning.
Prohibited foods on the ketogenic diet
As in all diets, the ketogenic also has several prohibited foods. Among all of them, beer and beverages rich in sugars, alcohol, fruits, flours, sauces made with sugar and milk stand out. As you can see, all foods that contain a high amount of carbohydrates in their composition are not allowed in this type of diet to lose weight.
Advantages of the ketogenic diet
- They are effective diets to lose weight quickly.
- Slightly increases good cholesterol.
- Increased feeling of fullness due to foods rich in protein and fat.
- They are recommended, through medical supervision, to all those who suffer from morbid obesity or refractory epilepsy for their optimal results.
- Reduce weight without reducing muscle mass.
Disadvantages of the ketogenic diet
- By eliminating fruits and other carbohydrate-rich foods, the body does not receive the vitamins, minerals, and fiber it needs.
- You can develop constipation.
- The lack of energy produces a situation of tiredness and fatigue.
- The high formation of ketone bodies can lead to the appearance of halitosis.
- Following a ketogenic diet is not recommended for those who suffer from liver problems, such as fatty liver, or heart problems.
This article is merely informative, at www.howorwhat.com we do not have the power to prescribe any medical treatment or make any type of diagnosis. We invite you to see a doctor in the case of presenting any type of condition or discomfort.