How to open XML files:
The files called XML (Extensible Markup Language or Extensible Markup Language) are a meta-language that serves to store data and facilitate its transmission between different technologies without affecting its original structure.
Due to the above, the language of XML files is considered universal (it is related to other languages such as XHTML, MathML, SVG, among others), so it can be opened in any type of text editor. However, if it contains very complex structures (with many nested tags), it is best to look for a more professional editor that allows better visualization of the document and facilitates its possible editing.
The most common is to find this format in electronic invoices, especially in tax payment receipts. For this reason, if you need to view XML files, edit them or transfer them to PDF, at howORWHAT we tell you how to open XML files without any complications and with the easiest options for PC and mobile.
How to open XML files in Windows
If you want to open an XML file in Windows 10, there are a great variety of options, it all depends on the complexity of the XML files (the number of nested tags they contain), and if you want to edit it (and to what extent you want to do it). Next, we describe what to do for each option:
Excel is one of the best options for opening simple XML files, as it can sort the tags and present the file as a table, making it easier to read and understand. Besides, it is not only a reader of XML files but also allows editing.
However, if the file is very complex (it has many nested labels), it will hardly be organized well within a table. In these cases, we recommend using an XML viewer or editor.
If you want to know how to open XML files in Excel, follow these steps:
- Open Excel.
- Select the “File” tab from the menu.
- Choose “Open.”
- Select the icon called “Team.”
- Choose the “Browse” button (the icon is a folder).
- Find and open the XML file. If the file does not appear, select in the lower menu of the window, the button that says “All files” or “XML files”.
- A window will appear, choose the option “As XML table”.
- If a warning appears, read it and accept it.
- View the XML file. A table appears organized according to the label structures (source data). Thanks to this, you can customize the table, using the sorting tools and filters that Excel offers you.
Text editors are the easiest and fastest way to view an XML file. However, these do not read the tags, so you will see them within the plain text. If you want to know the content of an XML file quickly, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the XML file. A list of options will be displayed there.
- Select “Open with” and hit the default Notepad program (also works others like Word Pad).
- The file will automatically open and the information it contains will appear.
- You can use the tags to interpret the text and locate where the title (<title> </title> tag) or the body of the text (<body> </body> tag) is.
Web browsers, such as text editors, can open XML files, but cannot interpret tags. It is another simple option if you need a fast XML file viewer and you do not need to edit it or make it easier to read. Follow these steps to use it:
- Open your browser.
- Drag the XML file to a new tab. Ready! You can now visualize it. So if you were wondering how to open XML files in Google Chrome or any other browser, you already know how to do it.
Program to open XML files for free
If, in addition to reading the XML file, you need to edit it, we recommend looking for an XML viewer and editor. There are a wide variety of programs that you can use, including Edit Plus, Office XML Handler, oXygen XML Editor, XML Explorer, XML Viewer, XML Marker, etc. In this case, we will use a free option called XML Notepad. Follow these steps to use it:
- Download the program from the Microsoft website and follow the installation instructions.
- Open the file. When it detects that you have the XML editor installed, the file will automatically open in the new program when you double-click it. If it doesn’t, right-click, choose the “Open with” option, and locate the newly installed program in the list of suggestions.
- Another alternative is to run the program and open the file from the menu, choosing the File> Open option. The Windows browser will open and you can find your file where you have it saved.
- Once your XML file is open, you can arrange it for better reading or editing.
How to open XML files online
If you do not have time to install a program or you are on a computer that is not yours, do not worry. You can view and edit XML files online with free options such as codebeautify.org, XMLGrid.net, XMLViewer.org, among others. In this case, we will use XML Viewer to explain how to open XML files online, follow these steps:
- Open the viewer’s web page.
- Translate the page into Spanish. Since most of these pages are in English, it is more convenient to change the language. Right-click on any empty area of the page and choose “Translate to Spanish”.
- Explore the interface. From the start XML Viewer, it will show you two empty boxes, and in the middle of both, a column made up of buttons (with different viewing and editing functions).
- Press the “Browse” button. A window will pop up, locate the XML file on your computer, and wait for it to load on the page.
- Press the blue “Format” button and you can read the file more easily.
Other pages like XMLGrid also allow you to edit the XML files and view the information in cells.
How to open XML files on mobile
There are two ways to open XML files on mobile (be it Android or iOS). It can be through the text editor or an APP. If the first alternative does not work (it can happen on very old mobile devices), you can resort to the second proposal (it is infallible). Here are some suggestions for mobile phones and tablets:
How to open XML files on Android
To open XML files on Android you can use its file manager and text editor. Follow these steps and you will be able to open them:
- Open the “File Manager” (file manager). If you don’t have it, download an application that fulfills the same function.
- Open the XML file. Once in the file manager, find the XML and click it. It will automatically open in the “Text Editor”.
The other option you have is to download an app to have a specialized XML file viewer. Here we give you the steps to do it with the QuickEdit app, although you can also use a File Viewer call.
- Search and download the app from the PlayStore.
- Select the XML file. A window will appear asking for your permission for the app to access your files, press the “Allow” button.
- The file will open within the application. You will see the data in the XML file horizontally.
- If you want to view it vertically, go to the settings (the dotted icon) and look for the Wrap> Wrap options. Now that you know how to open XML files on Android, you can check your XML invoices anywhere.
How to open XML files on iOS
Apple’s operating system also has a built-in notepad app. Here you can open the XML files with the plain text. To do so, follow these steps:
- Download the file from the cloud. Do this from the cloud service you used to transfer the file to your phone. For example, from iCloud.
- Tap the file once downloaded. It will automatically open in notepad.
As with Android, there are also applications on iOS that will allow you to easily open XML files. In this case, we will use a called Browser File & Manager, but you can also use a file called FileAppes with which you can manage your files, edit and share them (it is not free). Let’s see how to open XML files on the iPhone with the free option:
- Download the Browser File & Manager app from the AppStore.
- Find the file you want to open and select it. A window will appear with several alternatives, press the option that says “Open in Files (it is the icon with a blue square that contains a white arrow pointing downwards.
- The file will open immediately.
How to convert XML files to PDF
If you have an invoice in XML and you want to print it, the best way to do it is by converting it into a pdf. Although it may seem complicated to you, it is not at all, yes, there are more complex methods than others. Therefore, here we leave you several options to convert from XML to PDF.
Read Also: How to get a verification badge on TikTok
How to convert XML to PDF with an extension
Web browsers have extensions that you can quickly install and will help you convert XML files. In this case, we are going to use ContadorMX XML Reader, as it is free and can be found in Google Chrome.
- Install the extension.
- Head to your browser settings (the three-dot icon in the upper right corner of the browser bar). Go to Preferences> More Tools> Extensions. Once in the extensions, locate the XML Reader, enable it in the box that says “Allow access to file URLs.”
- Drag the XML file to a new browser tab. The CMX logo will appear and, just below, two boxes that you must fill in with your name and email.
- Drag the XML file back to a new tab. Immediately, you will see the file data and, in turn, another tab will appear with a printable presentation of the XML file.
- Press Ctrl + P (print). Once there, you can choose to print the PDF file or save it.
How to convert XML to PDF with a free program
CFDI Tools X (the version before 2020) is a free program that allows us to easily convert XML files to PDF, as well as download XML files in bulk. It is ideal for people who use this format very often for their profession. To use it, follow the steps below:
- Install the program.
- Press the “XML Manager” button.
- Press the “Select Folder” button.
- Locate the file there and click on it. Once located and selected, press the “OK” button.
- At the bottom of the menu, you will see that a list appears with the XML files that the program found in the chosen folder, select the one you will convert. This program also allows you to make massive downloads.
- Press the “To PDF” button. The converted PDF file will automatically open.
How to Convert XML to PDF Online
If you only want to convert an XML file occasionally, it may be better for you to do it online. Many pages allow you to do this, in this article we will use dsiscom.com, a free and easy-to-use option.
- Open the print icon appears there.
Just as you can convert XML files to PDF, you can also do the opposite process.